Thursday, March 27, 2008

I am excited about tonight's Men's Bible study. I was tired and exhausted before I started writing my outline, afterwards I feel 75% better, still not total par, but better. Tonight's topic is on how to study the Bible for yourself (get more meat) . I look around and see all these different styles of Bible study and some of them are loaded with post modern, everything is relative, to each their own-studies. Some of them are good and well worth the time and energy to put into them. I fear, however, if we (parents, church, leaders with education) don't teach people on the hows and whys to study the Bible we will become even more ignorant of the Bible, both in knowledge and wisdom (myself included).
When preparing for this study, I read something that struck me. (I had the head knowledge, but it was an Ah-ha moment.) I study the Bible hoping that the Holy Spirit will come and help me study, and I say a prayer to start the process. What I just realized is that the H.S. wants to teach me from what I read 10,000,000 times more than how much I want to learn. I don't coax the H.S. to teach me, I need to listen and get used to listening. My inability to listen and learn does not constitute inability of the H.S. to teach.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am looking forward to the study. I am looking for a 4/5 week study to do in Xpedition this summer and this may not be a bad topic.

Jen said...

I really enjoy reading your posts because it lets me see what you think about throughout the day.