Wednesday, September 9, 2009

a moment at last

Ever since my last post (I know 7 months ago) I have been extremely busy. Here is a rundown of a few major events. Doug: Kidney failed and replaced. Adoption: Almost completed with home study and will be in waiting pool very shortly. Summer: Had 3 weekends at home since May 1st, fishing 5 times. Church: Starting new program to increase Biblical understanding in which is called Catalyst.

I have a challenge for myself and if anybody cares they can challenge me on it. I have heard and been thinking about how the world and Xian thinkers have influenced my answers when it comes to the Bible. I was asked about Revelations a few times and I answered rather assuredly, but then thought about it and realized that it came from a Xian author and it wasn't actually from the Bible. So here it is. When I am asked a question about the Bible, I want to be able to bring up where that answer is, not just "oh it's in there somewhere." I have a feeling that this will be more challenging than I thought. Not a new revelation to anybody, but it will increase my knowledge. We are influenced too much by what others people think, and most times not what God has already said about that subject. Let my thought be as Your thoughts. Amen

The church thing is getting me excited to get back into our church. Which bring me to a question that I have asked my self for the last 8 years or so, and has been more on my mind since our leadership decided to go with a different program. What is the purpose of meeting at a Church? Fluff answers like " To worship God" will not count. WE can worship God anywhere anytime. I want a more thoughtful approach. I will blog again in a couple of days to either respond if anybody comments, or just give my definition of the reason we have church at a specific location if nobody answers.

3 comments:

Jen said...

I love the idea of not basing your answers to Biblical questions on what others have shared but rather on your own research.
Why do we go to church? I have two basic answers:
-To glorify God by serving the community and other believers
-To glorify God by growing in spiritual development (through sermons, small group studies, and worship)

Katrina Custer said...

I agree with both of Jen's, largely because the short answer to everything we do in life should be glorifying God. In addition, I wonder if it's right to add obedience. I'm becoming more convinced that this is a higher reason to do many things, (e.g. missions in my case) than just a calling, feelings/emotions, learning, etc. And we have been commanded to go to church (Heb 10:24-25).

Spring Lela Kane said...

Jason and I both firmly believe that church is for teaching and equipping believers to live a life that's reflective of Christ, through teaching from God's Word. Despite how many churches might view this, I don't believe church is for the unbeliever. It was stated so well by a pastor we highly respect... I'll try to re-word how he explained it. Among the church there are goats and sheep. The goats are those who are not Christ's, and the sheep are those who are. So many churches are catering extensively to the goats, and because of this, the sheep are starving... the "true" church of Christ has weakened as a result. Within church, our focus should be to equip sheep to "go out," not to desperately do all we can to bring in unbelievers. I could go on forever on this topic- God's given us a passion in this area